Monday, September 7, 2015

Reboot

Well, here I am once again...starting over. I had some great conversations lately with some wonderful friends and I felt the seeds of motivation stirring again. Movement is difficult for me and I'm wearing the biggest clothes I've ever worn.  However, I have family and friends who are supportive and am facing one of the best work schedules I've had in many, many years. I think I can do this.

So here's my plan.
1. Prepare my breakfasts and lunches ahead of time. Today, I made little egg-based things in muffin tins with ham, mushrooms, red pepper, and cheese in them. They're all in ziplock baggies ready to be grabbed quickly, heated for a minute, and then they're good to go. Made enough for Paul and I for the week, and I'll add a banana to mine.  For lunch, when I was on track, I ate this awesome bean salad with red peppers, avocado, corn, tomato, red onion, lime zest & juice, cilantro in it. It sounds good again to me, so I made up a batch and have it divided into six servings, so I can have four and Paul can try it if he'd like to.

2. Bring healthy snacks for in-between breakfast and lunch and lunch and dinner.  Morning- this awesome snack bar that is all natural foods and no sugars that I love. For afternoon, an apple and an ounce of nuts.

3. Dinners we have planned out and won't be tempted to just stop for fast food.

4. Water, water, water. I have a fantastic new water mug that I love that will be my new companion. It holds 32 ounces, but I like ice in there, so I'll have to figure out some way of measuring my water intake.

So that's it for the food part of things. I'm not counting calories yet. I'm just trying to keep my body fueled, and to prepare ahead of time to take care of myself.

Ok- now for activity. Like I said before, movement isn't the easiest for me, but I do have good, supportive shoes and I like walking. My plan is to take Pip for a walk in the morning right when I get up and take him for another one immediately when I get home. I've been doing walks with home, but not normally twice a day.  I'd like to get a fitbit or garmin or something of that nature towards the end of the week so I can start setting step goals. Any suggestions there would be awesome.


So these are my baby steps for this first week. I'll return and report on Sunday to let you know how they've gone.  I have specific numerical long-term goals for my weight, but will post those later when I'm ready.  In the meantime, I think I've prepared myself to succeed for this first week back. I'm in a good place mentally and am ready to try again.

9 comments:

  1. This all sounds so awesome, Ruth! Way to go being prepared and focusing on fueling your body. Message me if there's anything you think I can do to help, one friend to another. Are you interested in joining my secret group on fb? We share our goals and support one another. (There is one other hsd music teacher in the group.) Some of us have fitness goals, some weight goals, some both, and some also have healthy eating goals. It is a very positive and supportive group with a little accountability added in. We'd love to have you join if you think the support would help! Let me know. And have a GREAT first week back!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the support. As usual, you are there cheering me on. I'm not ready to join the group yet, but maybe in a couple months. Thank you so much for the offer!

      Delete
  2. Oh, and Ruth, I'd love to hear about that "awesome snack bar" you mentioned. Which on is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snack bar is by Nature Valley. It's called "Simple Nut Bar." The ingredients are roasted peanuts, roasted almonds, honey, roasted sunflower seeds, tapioca syrup, and sea salt.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info, Ruth. I'll look for them next shopping trip.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a very healthy and realistic plan. One small suggestion....add a little more protein, especially when you are having carbs.
    Have a little cheese with your apple, a hard boiled egg with your snack bar.
    Don't worry about ice in your water, unless you make your ice out of sugary soda pop!
    You are strong, you can do this👍

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a very healthy and realistic plan. One small suggestion....add a little more protein, especially when you are having carbs.
    Have a little cheese with your apple, a hard boiled egg with your snack bar.
    Don't worry about ice in your water, unless you make your ice out of sugary soda pop!
    You are strong, you can do this👍

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can do it! About the water... I have discovered that when I fill my water bottle with a combo of ice and water, when the ice melts, the water level is the same. So 32oz with I've and water is 32oz as long as you don't have left over ice before refilling with water. I've had the fit bit one for two years now and love it! It is not a bracelet but clips to your bra, undies, or pants. It is always there hidden but counting my steps. It is the most accurate for counting steps. The bracelet style will give you more steps for arm movement such as leading music. Both kinds will sync with a smart phone so you can track your stats. Fitbit has incredible customer service and they also have a huge community of users so you can do fun mini step challenges which add to the motivation factor. I also have garmin vivoactive. I use this as an every day watch but I bought it for the GPS for my running and biking and it also has smart notifications. It also counts steps but usually gives me more than my fitbit due to the arm movements. Both companies are great and I don't think you can go wrong with either. Good luck and keep moving!

    ReplyDelete